Monday, November 24, 2014

Nov. 24 In Addis Ababa preparing for travel tomorrow to Asosa

It is Monday afternoon here and I'm at the SIL office, where I have a fast enough internet connection to post to my blog directly. (My wife Anita has been posting most of my blogs for me since my internet connections have only been allowing send/receive of email.)

The trip up from Amaaro to Addis Ababa was long and bumpy, but we arrived without incident, which I usually consider the most important element of a trip. We did have to overnight along the way, which wasn't ideal, but it seemed the best option as darkness fell and we still had two hours to go to reach the capital city.

I had an interesting adventure at the motel where we spent the night. The locks on the doors didn't work as well as one would wish for, so when I locked mine at bedtime, I actually locked myself in the room, though I didn't realize it at the time. In the morning, I tried for about 30 minutes to unlock it from the inside, but without success. Finally, when my traveling companions came to the door to see if I was ready to go, I passed the key to them under the door, and after about 5 minutes of fiddling with it, one of them managed to get it to open.

I am enjoying the luxuries of hot showers and a more diverse restaurant menu here in Addis. I am grateful for the experience that I had in Amaaro, even though it was very difficult at times, and I'm looking forward to my next "adventure." Tomorrow at around 3:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, I will board a plane to fly to Asosa, in the west of the country, where I'll be until December 13, if everything goes according to plan.

Kevin Warfel

No comments:

Post a Comment