Friday, June 30, 2017

Thursday, June 29 - Departure (more details)

It was a short night, given that I was leaving for the airport at 3:00 AM, but I had little trouble waking up when my alarm went off. After getting myself dressed and fed and ready to go, I finalized my packing, then focused on taking care of some of the last-minute details that I had run out of time to do the day before. And just before 3:00, my driver showed up, ready to take me to the airport.

That was a 50-minute drive, so I arrived just before 4:00, then had to wait a few minutes to check in, as the kiosks were not active until 4:00. I was pleasantly surprised by how little time the check-in process took because I had a new kind of visa for this trip—one I’d never heard of until I received the instructions for getting my visa. It was an “e-visa,” and instead of being a physical stamp in my passport, it was a PDF document emailed to me, and which I printed out. I applied for it and paid for it on the internet, so I didn’t have to mail my passport to an embassy anywhere. When I got to the Charlotte airport, I simply showed that piece of paper and was allowed to board my plane to Washington, DC. I had to show it again when my boarding passes for the next two flights were issued at the gate in Washington, because I switched airlines there. The e-visa didn’t even raise any eyebrows either time, and I must admit that surprised me a little.

There were three legs on my trip to Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. United Airlines flew me from Charlotte to Washington Dulles, then Ethiopian Airlines took me from there on a 13-hour overnight flight to their hub in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, where I switched planes and flew to Abidjan. A couple of the flights were somewhat delayed, but it was never enough to hinder me from making the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment