Wednesday, March 25, 2015

March 17: Back home in Waxhaw, NC

I began my journey home yesterday evening, as I was dropped off at the Ouagadougou airport around 8:30pm to catch my 10:40pm flight to Belgium. Check-in, etc. went smoothly, except that my empty water bottle got confiscated at security! I've taken to putting my fingernail clippers inside my carry-on bag when going through security there, instead of putting it in the little dish full of pockets items where it is highly visible. I guess I'll have to do the same with my water bottle the next time. Rules for exactly what is allowed in one's carry-on bag vary from place to place and person to person, but I've learned that putting something inside the carry-on bag makes it much more likely to pass through without drawing a red flag than if it's visible somewhere outside the bag.

The plane we were to take to Belgium arrived in Ouagadougou about 15 minutes after we were scheduled to fly out, so an on-time departure was impossible. We ended up leaving about an hour later than my itinerary said we would; that resulted in missed connections in Belgium for some people, but I had a 5-hour scheduled layover there, so our late arrival only shortened the time I had to wait for the next flight. I made it to the gate with plenty of time to spare.

Each of my next two flights left on time and, flying with a tailwind, arrived early at our destination. There was little or no turbulence, so it was a pleasant trip back home. I arrived back at 6105 Davis Road around 8:30pm, tired but otherwise none the worse for wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment