Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday  no word collection - Cultural Diversity Celebration

Nearby wall freshly painted:

I had an interesting experience this morning when I went to buy bread for our breakfast. As I left the house, I heard the Berta (ethnic group from this area) band playing nearby. As I rounded the corner onto the street where the shop is located where I buy bread, I saw them standing in front of the Police Commission, directly opposite the shop where I buy bread. Many (maybe all) of them had what looked like a wooden horn; the instruments were of varying lengths, producing sounds of various pitches. Some of them were longer than the ones playing them were tall, reminding me of the Australian didjeridoo.
An egg plate for breakfast on a previous day:

As I continued to approach, the musicians suddenly quit playing, walked across the street, occupied all the chairs in the very shop where I buy bread, and ordered cups of tea. When I got to the shop a minute or two later, I had to pick my way through musical instruments and instrumentalists’ legs to get to the counter to order my bread. Those who run the shop looked rather harried as they tried to handle the mass of orders that the band had unleashed on them. The teenager who normally waits on me was pouring tea into cups through a sieve designed to catch the loose leaves, then while she helped her co-worker with a bread order, the sieve drifted over the sugar container, dripping tea into the sugar. The top of the counter was a bit of a mess, but I got my bread without any difficulty, then negotiated my way through the tangle of legs and horns back out of the shop and onto the sidewalk, and from there safely back home.

I did not get to any of the special festival activities at the stadium. For one thing, I would have had to walk in the sun without any sunscreen or protective headgear for a rather long way, which would not have been wise. For another, once there I would likely not have been able to get into the stadium anyway, due to the limited seating and the large number of VIPs (which I am not). Anne-Christie went with a friend and mingled with the performers outside the stadium before they were called in to perform, but she and her friend never gained access to the stadium itself.

I did walk around town a bit and take a few more pictures, and David and I went downtown for lunch, ordering curried beef over rice for $5 a plate. That’s pretty expensive for here, but it was good, and it was our way of “celebrating.” Two cokes added another dollar to the bill, so we forked out a whole $11, plus a 50-cent tip, for our lunch.
Government office wall newly painted:

No comments:

Post a Comment