Sunday, August 16, 2015

August 16: A Day of Rest



Sunday’s highlights:
Today was relaxed and relatively uneventful. I went to All Saints Cathedral again this morning, cooked vegetables for my lunch (and ate them with bread), then went out with three others for supper consisting of a Sudanese bean dish (photo below). Read on for more details.

I chose to go with Wes & Jackie to church again today, since that is an early service and they go to the vegetable market afterward. Nothing too remarkable in all of that, except perhaps one point in the sermon. An analogy was made between a fetus with a detached placenta and an individual who does not remain in Christ. Just as the fetus is sure to die, so also is the one who is not attached to Christ. It was an interesting illustration that I don’t remember having heard before.

I bought some more vegetables at the market after church, and when we stopped at a “French bakery” on the way home, I bought a loaf of nice brown bread—kind of like a double-wide short baguette, but made with whole-wheat(?) flour. I stir-fried some of the vegetables for lunch and ate them with some of the bread. It was just what my hungry stomach wanted.

The afternoon was spent napping, reading, talking, and sweating (of course). A representative from One Book, an organization in Canada that funds several translation projects here, arrived sometime during the day, so he, Leoma, Eileen, and I went to the hole-in-the-wall restaurant that Tim and I had gone to on Wednesday, where we all had “ful,” the bean dish that I enjoyed when I had it there the last time.
Leoma, Jerry, & Eileen at our table in the middle of the street (literally!)

Four servings of "ful" (beans, tomatoes, key lime, and goat cheese), with pita bread (salt & seasoning on the side)

No comments:

Post a Comment