Saturday, July 16, 2016

Saturday, July 16, 2016 Day 3 of Rapid Word Collection workshop

The word collection workshop continued today, rather than having a day off.

The rain continued intermittently during the night and finally stopped in the wee hours of Saturday morning. So by the time we were ready to start at 8 am on Saturday, the sun was out and the ground was dry enough to sit on. 

As we drove crossed one of the streams that are between the town where we stay and the village where the workshop takes place, someone in the car noted that three years ago we would not have been able to make it to the workshop location because the stream was flooded and the old road was a couple of feet underwater.

Our running totals at the end of each day so far are:
Day 1   1400
Day 2   2800
Day 3   4800

Our noon meal each day consists of something similar to the “toh” we know from Burkina Faso. However, I’ve been able to eat a reasonable amount of it in spite of the fact that I have a hard time in Burkina Faso getting the “toh” to go down and stay down. I’m encouraged by the fact that I’ve been able to eat at least a “white person’s portion” of this local food, but I am getting kind of tired of it now that I’ve been eating it for six days. It’s nice that our evening meal is provided by fellow Americans and consists of a main course based on either pasta or rice, so I’m not going hungry here. Breakfast consists of a bowl of oatmeal and some French-style bread, getting my day off to a good start.

Kevin Warfel

No comments:

Post a Comment