Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thursday, July 21, 2016 Tour downtown - by foot and by taxi

Today a friend (originally a friend of a friend) took me to see some of the sights in the capital city. We visited the national museum and the main (very big) market downtown. Neither of us has any "wheels” so we relied on our legs and public transportation. I expected more of the latter and less of the former, but as it turned out, we walked several miles altogether. Considering that it was a sunny day in the heart of Africa and that I have neither hat nor sunscreen with me, my face and bald spot are both red and a bit tender tonight. The pain is not too bad yet, but we’ll see what it’s like in the morning. An SIL colleague recommended that I treat the sunburnt areas with vinegar, so I’m giving that a try.

I received word in the early going this morning that the word-collection teams have surpassed their goal of 10,000 words. They will continue collecting from the remaining domains for two more days yet, wrapping things up with a closing ceremony on Saturday afternoon. I’m still expecting that they will end up with around 13,000 words in all.

SIL colleagues here in the capital city are seeing that I’m well fed. I did get out and verify the route to the local grocery store and nearby restaurant for when (or if) I need them. I found some bread, which I bought for my breakfast. That foray was in the late afternoon when the sun was less direct. Plus, since those places are nearby, I wasn’t exposed for such a long time like I had been earlier in the day.

Kevin Warfel

No comments:

Post a Comment