Saturday, July 22, 2017

Saturday, July 22 - The Expected and the Unexpected

Today was a mixture of the expected and the unexpected, but all good. The day started off differently than usual when I requested leftover rice for my breakfast instead of an omelet. Last evening’s rice dish was really good, but I couldn’t eat much then because I was so full from other things I had eaten earlier in the day. So I decided I’d request a second chance on the rice this morning. That provided a very satisfying start to the day.

As expected, around 8:00, Matthieu, Moïse, Justin, Bamoussa and I gathered at the church once again, this time to all focus on the 15 or so folders of data still waiting to be typed into the dictionary database. The four Djimini speakers spent their time checking the words that had been collected, crossing out ones where the participants had misunderstood the topic, correcting the spelling of those that were misspelled, adding words that the word-collection groups had overlooked, and so on. I focused on typing the words into the database that had been checked and approved. Justin divided his time between the two tasks, first checking the contents of a folder, then typing the data into the database. We made good progress, so that when 12:30 rolled around, I had five folders of verified data to take with me to work on typing in the afternoon. (As it turned out, I got four of them entered; the other will wait until later.) At this point it looks like, come Monday morning, everything will have been checked, and we’ll spend the first part of the day completing the data entry. Maybe we’ll be done with that by coffee break.

The noon meal was another unexpected part of the day today. I’m never sure what I’m going to be served here. There is quite a variety of dishes that have made an appearance at one time or another—from yams (boiled, mashed, or in a stew) to manioc (usually in a couscous-like form known as “attieke”) to potatoes (boiled, in a stew, or served as French fries) to rice (with oil and tomato like last evening and this morning’s breakfast, or with some sort of sauce/gravy to pour over it, sometimes simply with cooked leaves of some kind), almost always accompanied by some sort of meat, fish being the most frequent—so when I show up for a meal, I’m never sure what I’ll find in the pots on the serving table. When I checked out today’s “menu,” however, I discovered that it was white rice and a peanut sauce with some tender meat in it. I love rice and peanut sauce, but this was the first time it had been served since the evening of the day I arrived. Everyone at the table today could see how much I appreciated the food I was eating for that meal!

Another surprise came my way when I was told that Moïse would be taking me to church in another village tomorrow. It’s apparently far enough away that he and Matthieu have arranged for a friend to come and pick me up in his vehicle instead of making me ride that distance on the back of a motorcycle. “Oh, and by the way, could you preach the same sermon there tomorrow that you preached at the other church two weeks ago?” I agreed to do that, so I’ll be having another very interesting cultural experience again tomorrow, I’m sure.

The day was full of surprises, another one coming as we were wrapping up lunch. The two priests who have been my hosts here announced that, since this was my last Saturday in Dabakala, they were planning a special meal for supper. They promised to provide special food and drink and make this a memorable occasion. True to their promise, a rotisserie chicken, chopped up and garnished, was added to the serving table for the evening meal, next to the leftover rice and peanut sauce and a couple of other dishes I had no interest in. A large bottle of Coke was my special drink, while most of the others shared a bottle of wine. I quite enjoyed a second round of the rice and peanut sauce, and the addition of the chicken and soda made it a very special meal.

It turns out that two others from here will also be traveling on Friday, so I’ll have companions to go with. One will be going only partway to Abidjan, but the other will be going the whole way, so we’ll be able to ride together for the whole journey. When I left home, I was mentally prepared to travel both directions by myself, but God has graciously provided someone to travel with each time. That is very special, I think.


The final surprise of the day came in the form of a thunderstorm that evolved into a prolonged, ground-soaking rain. The storm brought with it a significant drop in temperature that has me feeling on the verge of “chilly.” Even though this is the time of year when I was expecting to experience a lot of rain here, the climate in this area has ended up being different than what I had expected. The daily weather reports have shown rain every day down on the coast, where Abidjan is located. So the fact that it was raining when I left there a few weeks ago is not surprising to anyone here. But at the same time, our weather here several hundred miles further north has been mostly a mixture of clouds and sunshine, with only an occasional rain. The rains I have experienced here have been mostly light and short-lived. This evening’s was prolonged, with significant accumulation, so I’m expecting the ground to be a bit muddy when I go out in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment