Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday, July 23 - My Soul Magnifies the LORD

Wow! What a day I had today! I feel like celebrating as Mary did after Gabriel informed her that she would be the mother of the Messiah, only I’m not nearly as poetic as she was. I feel more like Moses—thick of tongue and slow of speech—but here’s my attempt to relate to you the awe and worship I feel in my heart toward God after what I experienced today.

This being the cook’s day off, my breakfast was less than the high point of my day, consisting of tea and rather stale bread. I supplemented that with some trail mix that I brought along from home, and that was enough to provide the sustenance I needed to make it through the morning. Moïse and the Christian brother he enlisted to take us to his home village, Dienguesso, in his vehicle, a Peugeot hatchback, picked me up around 8:00 am. We made two more stops to pick up a couple of other passengers, one of whom was Moïse’s wife, I found out later; the other was the wife of Bamoussa, another member of the Djimini translation team. Then we were on our way out of town to the north.

It took us about an hour to reach Dienguesso. Most of the route was paved, but the last 20 minutes or so was on dirt roads that were, for the most part, in decent shape, last night’s rain notwithstanding. Upon reaching the village, we drove directly to Moïse’s house, which is very close to the church. After observing the Djimini custom of providing water for the guests and exchanging news between residents and visitors, we were offered a breakfast of tea and bread. I had only a small amount of the bread so that I wouldn’t still be full when the midday meal was served later on. After breakfast, we made our way to the church, where we were seated at the front of the church.

By the time we joined the service, it was already pretty far along. We caught the last song or two, then it was time for announcements. During that time I was introduced and given the opportunity to say a few words. After the offering and another song, it was already time for the morning message, and as I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I had been asked to preach the same sermon I had shared at Kengenmougousso two weeks ago.

My message is based on the passage in Luke 18:35-43, where Jesus healed a blind beggar near the end of his ministry. I entitle this message “Hope when there is no Hope” or “Hope Beyond Hope”. The gist of the message, for those of you who haven’t heard it in one of the many churches where I’ve given it over the past year and a half, is this: The blind man begging by the road was caught in a hopeless rut, looking only for a way to survive from one day to the next. He had no hope for anything more than that—until the day that he heard that Jesus was passing by on the road where he was begging. Hope was born in him that day, and he called out in faith, asking to be given back the gift of sight that he had lost. He was healed and forgiven because of his faith. Though many of the bystanders felt he was unworthy of Jesus’ time and attention, Jesus himself had time for him. In the same way—because Jesus is the same today as He was back then, nor will His nature ever change—Jesus, in spite of the fact that He is the greatest of the great, the ruler of all those who are of noble birth, has time for each one of us, even if we’re the lowliest of the ignoble, the marginalized, those the world considers of little value. Jesus wants to hear us articulate what it is that we desire, and He wants to give us the desires of our heart. He wants to give us hope when, in human and natural terms, there is absolutely none. He wants to do the impossible in our lives so that we, like the blind beggar, will thereafter be part of His following, glorifying God for what He has done in us.

After the church service was over, we gathered at Moïse’s house again, where a meal would be served to us in due time. As we were sitting there and the people around me were chattering away in Djimini, Bamoussa’s wife turned to me and said, “That message really slapped us!” Apparently they had been discussing the message, and she brought me into the conversation at that point. What she meant was that the message had really struck home for them. They were familiar with the story, but for them it was just a story, ancient history, and didn’t really impact their lives in the here and now. The way I related the story to the present was like a lightning bolt from heaven. Suddenly this story took on new meaning for them, giving them something in the Bible that they could recall when difficult times came their way. They could find hope in the midst of desperate situations by calling to mind the plight of the blind beggar and how his life had been forever changed by Jesus’ power.

The next 30 minutes were spent talking about the message and how it related to various experiences that one or the other had had or were currently dealing with. This was a gift from God for me, because I always wonder what I’ve communicated in my limited French through an interpreter into yet another language, or if I’ve communicated anything at all. To hear four different people talk about how the message had significantly impacted them gave me a real boost.

The conversation eventually switched back into Djimini, leaving me to allow my own thoughts to wander. I reflected on the wonder of what had happened at that church this morning. How was it possible that someone as introverted as I am by nature can stand up in front of a crowd of 100 people and deliver a message in a foreign language, using no notes and having only an English Bible to refer to? How is it that I, a person who struggles to find the right words to express my thoughts and feelings, could speak in front of this group without feeling nervous, speaking relatively comfortably and confidently? “How is that even possible?,” I asked myself! There is simply no other explanation other than that God Himself did it through me. He is the One who arranged for me to be in Dienguesso today; He is the One who enabled me to learn to speak French well enough to communicate. And though I often have to search for the words I want in French, He got His message through in spite of my stumblings. Truly, it is through our weakness that His strength is shown most clearly. That was very much the case today.

As we continued to wait while the women prepared mashed yam for us for lunch, various people came by to say hello. I smiled and nodded a lot, shaking lots of hands, while understanding very little of all that was said, since it was virtually all in Djimini. But at one point, one of the pastors present said to me, “The woman over there with the red top has asked you to pray for her because she has a sore foot.” Apparently, her take on my message was that today was her opportunity to be healed of her handicap. When she looked at me, she saw Jesus, so she came asking to be healed. I prayed for her earnestly, but I make no claim of having the gift of healing, so I don’t know if she has been healed yet or not. When she left our group, she was still obviously in pain. I can only pray that she will experience a significant improvement in her relationship with God as a result of her request and that she will find hope where there was none before.


After lunch, and just before we left to come back to Dabakala, another woman came. She had brought her 22-month-old son with her, and she asked me to pray for him to be able to walk, since he has not yet been able to. I prayed for strength in the boy’s legs and for wisdom for his parents to know what to do to help him. Once again, I do not know what effect my prayer had or will have in the life of this family, but it is my deepest hope that this mother will find hope for the future that was not there when she woke up this morning and that her relationship with God will be forever transformed because of all that happened today.

I find myself in awe of the idea that God would choose to use me to speak a deep and personal message to a group of people in a remote African village. Surely there are more capable people He could use. But just as He chose to work through Moses in spite of his discomfiture at the thought of being in the spotlight, He has elected to use me as His spokesperson while I’m here, despite all of my shortcomings. And here I thought I was making this trip for the purpose of helping the Djimini people get started on the dictionary they want so badly. God obviously had other objectives in addition to that one. And so “my soul magnifies the LORD” for the wonder of what He’s doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment